If you are aged between 45-49 year old, you can book a free health check with us.
Entering middle age presents a whole new host of health challenges for many people. The Australian Department of Health categorises 45-49 year olds as the demographic most at risk of developing a chronic illness.
As this is an Australian government health care initiative, your consultation will be fully funded by Medicare. As such, you will not be charged for the assessment.
Why do you need to get a 45-49 year old health check?
Between the ages of 45 and 49 years old is when, statistically, you have a good chance of showing signs of the development of chronic disease. Unfortunately chronic diseases can have a significant impact on your health and well-being later in life. Your GP may make recommendations to help you avoid health problems later in life.
If you haven’t been particularly conscious of your health in the past, then this health check is critical. For people who display risk factors for developing chronic disease, a 45-49 year old health check is even more important. Some risk factors that may lead to the development of chronic illness include:
- Your family history – if others in your family have developed chronic diseases, this may increase your chances of doing so.
- Biomedical factors – if you have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or are overweight, your risk of developing a chronic disease may be increased. A health check can help identify these risk factors.
- Your lifestyle – if you are a smoker, are sedentary, drink excessively or have poor dietary habits. Your risks of developing a chronic disease such as diabetes are very likely higher.
If you believe that you fulfil any of the above risk factors, speak to your GP. You can make changes to prevent them exacerbating any existing illnesses or causing the development of chronic diseases in future.
What’s involved in a 45-49 year old health check?
Our health assessments are a comprehensive and full health check of your general overall physical and mental health.
A mental health assessment and physical examination and health assessment is vital to identifying and preventing the onset of any chronic illness. These checks include a thorough examination of your diet, exercise, family history, and the review of any medication you may be taking. It may also include immunisations, type 2 diabetes risk evaluation tests and/or screening tests considered necessary for your age and/or health history.
Other components of the health assessment may include:
- undertaking interventions and referrals where clinically needed;
- delivering advice and information, including strategies to help improve a patient’s lifestyle and behavioural patterns;
- write and record the health assessment, and provide the patient with a written copy of the health assessment underlying the recommendations covered in the appointment; and
- if the patient is accompanied by a carer or guardian, a copy of the report or extracts of the report relevant to the carer or guardian.
This assessment is designed to detect, delay or prevent the current state or development of chronic health conditions.
Health assessments run for approximately one hour, including 30 minutes with a practice nurse followed by 30 minutes with your GP.
Medicare rebate for the 45-49 year old health check
You will be eligible for a Medicare rebate for your 45-49 year old health check. You may also be eligible for a Medicare rebate for further healthcare requirements, particularly if the outcome of your health assessment is further management of chronic diseases.
Book your health check today
We are committed to the ongoing care of your health and well-being. Therefore, we highly recommended this free health assessment to all our eligible patients. We encourage you to make an appointment with us at your earliest convenience.
Please phone our practice to see if you’re eligible for our free health assessment, and ask our friendly staff to book you in for a 45-49 year old health assessment.